Saturday, August 25, 2012

We see the world as we are, not as it is.

Have you ever noticed that most of your interactions are a direct reflection of your own personal attitude? If you're in a happy mood, the world seems to be a happier place. But, if you're in an awful mood, everyone's just a jerk. For example, I hate Walmart. HATE IT. But, I still go there and whenever I do I always find myself having an internal gripe session about how awful the people there are. Could it just be that they are all totally normal people and that it's just my own attitude that is creating this image?
I had the best experience this morning. I walked/ran the Ogden River Parkway Trail (or some of it - it's quite long). It was so beautiful - the weather was cool, the wind was blowing off the mountains, I could see some trees changing colors in the canyon up ahead, and I had finally found a trail that my dog could handle without any anxiety (no cars nearby - he's kind of a wuss). It just made my spirit happy. And, about 80% of the people who I passed smiled at me and said, "Good morning." I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, everyone here is in such a great mood, I wonder what the difference is between today and every other time that I've come here." And then I realized - it's me. I was feeling happier and that was reflected in the attitudes of those around me. Apparently I wear my emotions on my sleeve and just through a slight change in my facial expressions (or the state of my hair, I've been told), anyone can tell what I'm feeling. When I'm happy, I look happy, when I'm not, I don't. And, perhaps those times that I'm stressed about the behaviors of others, I'm creating it by holding a preconceived notion about their behaviors and creating an unapproachableness about myself. I mean, who would want to smile at and greet a Downer Debbie? Seriously, it's all self-fulfilled prophesy. I - most of the time - have complete control over what kind of experiences I'm going to have in my own little personal world by my own attitude. We all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment